Vernon County History logo

100 Years Ago

Life in Viroqua from the Vernon County Censor:


DEC. 4, 1918


Last month in 1918 – the historic war year.

The sleighing is being enjoyed.

Mitchell D. Brown has sold his stock of merchandise in the village of Avalanche to Jos. Parker of this city. Mr. Brown has been in business little more than a year. He will hark back to his first love, the soil.

In compliance with war regulations the Hillsboro brewery will cease making beer on December 1st, and its machinery will remain idle until after the army is demobilized. The supply of beer on hand, however, will last for some time. – Sentry.

Parties from West Prairie well the Censor that they have heard and seen as they pass the areoplanes [sic] that carry the mails between LaCrosse and Chicago.

The ban on Christmas buying is raised, and government officials advocate old-time holidays – without extravagance.

Viroqua flouring mills are the busiest place in three states. Gristing is brought here from one to thirty miles in all directions.

Trappers are reaping a harvest this season on account of the high prices of all kinds of furs. Fur bearing animals are plenty this season and the fur generally good.

Very little tobacco has been delivered to our houses. Buyer Gary shipped four car loads from Westby.

Bring your battery and have us take care of it during the winter, it will pay you well. M.O. Larsen’s garage.

SPECIAL PRICE ON BIG 3 Vacuum Washers and Wingers. Worth $18.00; Regular Price $15.00 Special Price NOW $13.85. Smith Hardware Co.


NOV. 27, 1918


Mr. and Mrs. Walter McClurg are rejoicing over the arrival of a second son at their Pleasant Ridge home.

On Thursday, President Wilson affixed his signature to a bone dry prohibition measure, and with this measure being law, the sale, import and manufacture of all intoxicants will cease June 30, 1919, until such time as the President by proclamation declares demobilization of U.S. troops completed – and that may take two years. Prohibition leaders say that the prohibition amendment will surely be ratified by that time.

Edwin Tainter, by being let out of his government job near Washington, has been fortunate in dropping into his old position as lineman and outside man for the local electric light company.

Express Agent Alexander tells the Censor that shipments of poultry are very large from this station. He estimates that there has been more than ten tons consigned within the past few weeks.

A suite of commodious offices will be arranged in the county training school building for occupancy of the county superintendent of schools. The superintendent’s salary was increased from $1,200 per year to $1,500 for new term commencing next July.

Training school building committee reported that completion of all contracts therewith would be $58,500; that they had incurred a deficit of only $87.21. To meet this deficit and furnish the building in a modern way, including electric lighting, sidewalks, concrete gutters, curbs and grading, an appropriation of $3,000 was voted.

Use San Tox Pine Balsam with Eucalyptus for that cough, 25 and 50 cents per bottle at O.E. Davis’.


previous glimpses